The General Manager of the Fujairah International Airport, Dr. Khaled Almazroui, expects three passenger airlines to be operating in the eastern emirate by the end of this year.
Unable to disclose the name of the airlines at this stage he said, “We are in an advanced stage and the airlines will get passengers from the whole east coast, including Kalba, Dibba, Khorfakan and some portion of Oman.”
Important Advantages of Fujairah Airport
* Strategic location on the east coast of the UAE.
* Situated a minute’s car ride (1km) from Fujairah’s main street.
* Check this interactive map.
* Capacity to handle two million passengers annually.
* Already handles 50 chartered flights daily.
* 30% to 40% less expensive than Dubai and Sharjah.
* Less expensive landing, ground handling and parking charges.
* Open 365 days a year with no fog and low visibility problems.
* See this link for further specifications.
From Cargo to Passengers
Until now the Fujairah Airport has gained 90% of its revenue from cargo business with 10% coming from jet passengers.
In 2008, the airport recorded an 80% increase in cargo movements on 2007.
In the first quarter of 2009, aircraft movements and passenger numbers grew 13%, while cargo business witnessed a 17% growth.
This new announcement indicates a significant move from the airport dealing predominantly in cargo to the movement of passengers on commercial airlines.
Part of an Overall Plan
This shift is part of the Fujairah Airport’s master plan which is aiming not only to increase passenger flights but to enlarge the cargo facility and create a new maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) facility.
Abdul Basit, Fujairah International Airport Expects Three Airlines by Year-End, Khaleej Times, 23 May 2009.
Fujairah International Airport.
Further Fujairah Expansion
Check out these recent articles indicating expansion of Fujairah:
Fujairah Set for 6.2% Population Growth, FIF.
Abu Dhabi to Fujairah Oil Pipeline, FIF.
Fujairah Expands Oil Storage, Port and Refinery, FIF.
Healthy Employment Prospects, FIF.
Fujairah a Popular Port of Call for Cruise Ships, FIF.
Fujairah Forging Ahead Despite Recession, FIF.
Dr Geoff Pound
Contact me at geoffpound[@]gmail.com or on Facebook for details of how you may advertise on this site.
Image: Fujairah Airport Logo