Fujairah Collage

Fujairah Collage
Some distinctive landmarks in Fujairah

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Islamic Guidance Center in Fujairah

As-Salaam Alaikum
I dropped in to Fujairah’s Islamic Call & Guidance Center to get some guidance on an issue (see below) and I was as impressed with their welcome and hospitality as I was when I first visited them.

Services
A Sudanese man by the name of Adel heard my issue, gave some advice, served me a cup of tea and showed me around the library which holds books in Arabic, English, Farsi, Urdu, Malayalam, French and Thai. It used to be a lending library until books went missing. Now people are invited to read books in the library and there were several people reading when I visited. In addition to Islamic books they have a sizeable collection of audio tapes.

From time to time they schedule public lectures and run courses in Islamic studies.

Most visitors are Muslims—residents as well as guests that come via the sea port or the airport. They also get visits from people who are not Muslims but who are curious to know more about the Islamic faith.


With Compliments
As I left I was given a bag of books bearing these titles:
The True Religion of God
Muslim Christian Dialogue
The Religion of All Time
Have You Discovered its Real Beauty?

These books provide an introduction to Islam and offer an explanation for many Muslim practices such as refraining from pork, advocating circumcision and refusing to drink alcohol.

Location and Contact
The Islamic Call & Guidance Center is open most days from 8am to 2pm and 4pm to 6pm.

It is located on Al Salam Road in Old Fujairah.
Tel: 09 2223101
Fax: 09 2229270
P O Box 764
Fujairah


View Islamic Call & Guidance Center in a larger map.

Postscript
Recently I have been asked by several people in Fujairah about the best thing to do when the loudspeakers of a mosque seem to be set at an excessive volume which blasts the call to prayer into their homes.

The Islamic Guidance Center cannot help with this issue, nor can the local imam. The correct place to visit is the General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowments—Fujairah Branch. My inquiry is in process. I will keep you posted. Any other people feeling that the loudspeakers of their local mosque are set at too high a level or positioned in the wrong direction?

Geoff Pound

This article is also posted on the Fujairah in Focus Facebook Page.

No comments: